Assessment of equivalent early childhood educator qualifications | Expect a Star

Assessment of equivalent early childhood educator qualifications

An individual with early childhood qualifications, either not listed on the approved qualifications lists, or from overseas, can apply to Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA) to have their qualifications assessed for equivalence.

ACECQA will then determine if the individual can work as one of the three types of early childhood educators under the National Quality Framework (NQF):

  • Early Childhood Teacher
  • Diploma Level Educator
  • Certificate III Level Educator

Applying for an assessment

The Guidelines for the determination of equivalent qualifications explain the application process and the criteria that ACECQA will consider in deciding if qualifications are equivalent.

Applicants should read these guidelines together with the application form for more detail about the process and the supporting documents that will be needed.

To make an application to ACECQA, you will need to:

  • Complete the application form
  • Attach the necessary certified documents, and
  • Pay the AUD$110 (incl. GST) fee

Completed applications can be sent to ACECQA:

  • By email:
  • By post: Qualifications Assessment Team, ACECQA, PO BOX A292, Sydney NSW 1235

Overseas qualifications

If the qualification being assessed is from overseas, then before applying to ACECQA, you will first need certification of the level of the qualification. You can get this from the Australian Education International - National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (AEI-NOOSR), or an overseas qualification unit in the state or territory the applicant lives in.

AEI-NOOSR provides official information and advice on the comparability of overseas qualifications with Australian qualifications.

What does AEI-NOOSR assess?

They assess: higher education, post-secondary technical and vocational overseas qualifications for general purposes.

They do not assess:

Assessment time

Assessments can take up to 3 months.

Fees for assessments

The fee depends on the number of qualifications you want assessed and your residency status. See Fees for Assessment for full details. Ranges from $295-$650 depending on amount of documents and if applicant is an Australian permanent resident or citizen OR if they are a temporary resident or citizens of other countries. Can pay by credit card, money order, bank cheque or personal cheque.

Documents required

For a full list of documents required including information on certification, approved translators and proof of residency, see Documents we require.

You will need to provide certified copies of the following documents in their original language and in an English translation from an approved translator (if the originals are not in English):

  • Your degree, diploma or certificate.
  • Transcripts, including the back of the transcript.
  • Your previous post-secondary qualification(s).
  • If relevant, evidence of a name change – a marriage or deed poll certificate.
  • If applying for assessment of a Doctoral Degree, the abstract from your thesis, evidence of publication, names of examining committee
  • Proof of residency if you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen permanently resident in Australia. Australian permanent residents or citizens must prove this by sending:
    • Citizenship certificate or;
    • Pages from your passport or travel documents showing passport or document number, personal details, visa and entry stamp or
    • A statement from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship that shows you are a permanent resident.
  • New Zealand citizens must prove this by sending:
    • Evidence of your New Zealand citizenship and
    • Proof you live in Australia - Australian driver’s license or a bank or credit card statement that show your address.

Do not send originals because we do not return documents to you.

You must sign the declaration and complete the check list at the end of the online application. All documents should be posted to the address below. They do not accept electronic or faxed documents.

AEI-NOOSR Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations, GPO Box 1407, Canberra ACT 2601 

Certified copies

To have your documents certified (or notarised) you will need to take the original document and a copy to an authorised person for signing. In Australia, an authorised person includes a Justice of the Peace. In other countries, if you are not sure who is authorised check with your Australian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate.

Certified copies must be:

  • Copies of the original document (not copies of copies) marked with the words “certified true copy of the original”, and
  • Signed on each page and include the name and address of the person who signed them. We must be able to contact this person if needed.

Assessment process

ACECQA will email applicants within 10 working days, once the application has been received and the fee payment processed.

Assessments are usually completed within eight weeks from the date of the initial notification email, providing all supporting documents are submitted with the application and appropriately certified.

We ask that applicants limit enquiries about progress of assessments, as this takes time away from completing assessments.

After an assessment

If your application is successful, ACECQA will issue you a certificate. This certificate will demonstrate to potential employers that your qualifications are recognised as equivalent for the purposes of the National Quality Framework. 

For individuals with approved early childhood teacher qualifications, you will need to check if you also require teacher registration to work in your state or territory.

If your application is unsuccessful ACECQA will provide you with reasons for its decision.

Assessment for migration

If you wish to apply for an assessment of your Early Childhood Teacher (pre-primary school) qualification for the purpose of the General Skilled Migration Program, then you need to apply to the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL).

AITSL is the designated assessing authority under the General Skilled Migration Program for teacher occupations on the Skilled Occupation List.